2019 Public Works Conference Program
12-12:45 | Top Capital Programs & Outlook on Publicly Funded Construction – Come hear which public agencies in the state have the most funding allocated in their 5-yr Capital Improvement Plans (CIP), including specific planned projects. The data will also be put into context with other segments including private development and housing. Attendees will also be treated to an updated procurement analysis detailing the price of current bids compared to the budget and the use of alternative delivery contract types.
- Speaker: Rebekah Morris, President & Founder, BEX
12:45-1:15 | Deeper Dive – Pima County: Road & Transportation Systems – Pima County Transportation Department oversees the design, construction and maintenance of nearly 2,200 miles of roadways and infrastructure throughout unincorporated Pima County to include hundreds of bridges, drainage structures, street lights and traffic signs and public art. Attendees will learn how the County prioritizes the never-ending capital project list and hear about the potential for future revenue sources for transportation projects.
- Speaker: Ana Olivares, Director of Transportation, Pima County
1:15-1:30 | Quick Hit – Luke Air Force Base – Attendees will hear a quick update on current and future capital projects at Luke Air Force Base and how they can secure future projects.
- Speaker: Tiffany Draper, Construction Section Supervisor, Luke AFB
1:30-2:15 | Upcoming Capital Projects from Public Agencies – Hear direct from the public owners as they describe what capital projects they have in planning, how rising construction prices impact their ability to deliver construction projects, and what trends they see in the industry. Attendees will benefit from learning about the various styles of procurement preferences and how to do business with public owners in Arizona.
- Panelist: Patrick Banger, Town Manager, Town of Gilbert
- Panelist: Reid Spaulding, Deputy County Manager, Maricopa County
- Panelist: Dan Worth, Public Works Director, City of Scottsdale
- Moderator: Anthony Jeffers, Project Development Director, Hensel Phelps
2:15 | BREAK
2:40-3:30 | What’s Coming Up at Phoenix-Area Airports – From Sky Harbor to Phoenix Mesa-Gateway and Falcon Field, airports help fly the economy to new heights. These powerhouses of activity carry into the design and construction industries as well with near constant improvements to both the air-side and publicly occupied spaces. Hear from each airport on the current state of their facilities, what newly updated master plans have revealed and how they plan to implement their capital planning process.
- Panelist: Shea Joachim, Director of Business Development, Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport Authority
- Panelist: Kyle Kotchou, Deputy Aviation Director – Design & Construction Services, Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport
- Panelist: Corinne Nystrom, Director, Mesa Falcon Field Airport
- Moderator: Lorraine Bergman, President, Caliente Construction
3:30-3:45 | Quick Hit – Central Arizona Project (CAP) – As the primary mechanism for providing water to the Phoenix Metro, CAP’s infrastructure is critical to the growing population of the state. Come hear what future projects they have, how they maintain their vast system of water delivery, and how to do business with the agency.
- Speaker: Telma C. Bearden, CCPM, CPPO, CPPB, Senior Contracting Officer, Central Arizona Project
3:50-4:10 | BEX Town Hall – In this NEW Segment, the afternoon’s speakers will candidly answer live questions posed by attendees. Engage in a lively discussion to close out the afternoon covering topics such as procurement and innovation with respect to working with public agencies.
4:10-4:20 | Closing Remarks & Raffle Prize Drawing – Finishing strong, attendees will have a chance to win awesome raffle prizes (MUST BE PRESENT TO WIN) and hear a quick recap of the afternoon’s program.
4:20-6 | Networking Happy Hour – Enjoy drinks and appetizers on the patio while making key connections with other conference attendees and speakers.